My name is Steve McElwee and I have over 20 years experience creating a strong foundation in graphic design, creative and technical illustration complemented by knowledge of business operations and the need for customer-focused service. My track record is one of initiative and achievement — providing support to Marketing and Business Development groups for collateral and other print graphic needs as well as managing and developing creative staff. My experience in brand development and positioning, sensitivity to customer acquisition and retention along with my understanding of how design requirements are integrated with a company’s business model and product marketing strategies all help in my ability to manage design requirements within schedule and resource constraints.
Graphic Designer2012 - PresentAmerican Hearing Aid Associates
- Partner with Art Directors, Business Directors, Marketing, Sales, internal designers and outside designers and ad agencies to gather information for layouts and concepts all the way through production phases.
- Performs a variety of design tasks from start to final production such as; brochures, catalogs, logo designs, packaging ,point-of-purchase, product cosmetics, on-line designs (web, mobile & social), sales & marketing presentations, meeting and product launch events and other specialty projects as assigned by Marketing, Sales Art Directors and Creative Services Directors.
Senior Graphic Designer/Art Director2002 - 2012Today Media, Inc.
- Responsible for all aspects of multimedia graphic and media design.
- Successfully lead creative direction and production for multiple Today Media Publications.
- Managed and created layout/design of Delaware Today and Main Line Today magazine, classifieds, ads, promos, brochures, mailers, marketing pieces, Newspaper inserts and billboards.
- Successful at Interface and icon development, graphics for software products, and interactive projects; Pagination and post-scripting of all Today Media publications; Printing proofs, pre-flight of all camera-ready ads; Transfer all pages via printers FTP site; Provide technical support/training.
- Excelled at communication and interaction with clients including working with sales department to ensure client’s needs are consistently met and expectations are exceeded.
Production Director1999 - 2002Today Media, Inc.
- Scheduled and managed the production of all Today Media publications and collateral material, including the updating of the company’s web sites.
- Managed all production department personnel.
- Worked with editors, art directors, sales management, printers, and vendors to produce high quality production publications within budget and deadline requirements.
- Created and reviewed regular cost analysis reports and fair market reviews to maintain competitive bids and increase profitability.
- Prepared layout and printer imposition for each publication issue.
- Provided publisher with monthly production tracking and activity reports.
Art/Production Director1997 - 1999Community Publications, Inc.
- Managed production department.
- Assisted with layout of all publications including layout and pagination of classified pages as well as creating advertisements from layout to completion.
- Responsible for scanning of art work and photos, both in grayscale and four-color.
Graphic Designer/Photo Technician1996 - 1997The News Journal
Graphic Designer1996 - 1997Center for the Creative Arts
Web Design2004Delaware College of Art and Design
Visual Communications1993 - 1996The Art Institute of Philadelphia